Things to install on your computer and on your IBM Cloud instance before coming to the session.
We assume participants are grouped into groups of 3-6 people, and that there is at least one computer per group. This page lists what you need to install on that computer
Software on Your Computer
FTDI is the make of a chip on the SmartMesh IP motes.
- On modern versions of Windows/Linux/MacOS, the drivers are already installed.
- Try plugging in your manager and verify 4 serial ports are installed.
- If that doesn't happen, you may need to download and install drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.
When am I done?
When you plug in your SmartMesh IP manager, 4 serial ports appear.
Make sure you have a serial terminal program (PuTTY, TeraTerm, etc) installed on your computer, and that you know how to use it to open/close a serial port.
If you are using MACOS, you don't have to install anything. You can use the built-in package called "screen".
You will use Microsoft Excel in Part 2: Understanding Trade-Offs in SmartMesh IP. Make sure each group has at least one computer that has it installed.
Software on IBM Cloud
IBM Cloud Account
We assume you have a IBM Cloud Account, and that you can log into console.eu-gb.bluemix.net.
Node-RED Cloud Foundry App
- On your IBM Cloud Dashboard, click "Create Resource" and choose "Node-RED Starter"
- Give it the name you want (which will become its URL) and indicate it to your instructor
- Configure Node-RED such that you need to log in to change the flow, but that an anonymous visitor can still see your flow